The INdAM-COFUND Programme plans to open to transnational mobility the existing INdAM national programme, increasing the trans-national mobility of researchers and improving their working and employment conditions, in particular the amount of their salaries.
The programme consists of 3 calls.
The fellowships to be awarded are of three types:
- Outgoing fellowships (with return phase), intended for Italian nationals or “assimilated” : 5-4 per Call
- Incoming fellowships, intended for Italy non-nationalsfrom a EU Member State (MS) different from Italy, an Associated Country (AC) or a Third Country: 3-4 per Call
- Re-integration fellowships, intended for Italian nationals who have carried out research in a Third Country for at least 3 years in the last 4 years prior to the deadline: 1 per Call
As to the choice of the research programs, the expression “mathematics and/or its applications” has a very broad meaning. Itincludes all the fields of mathematics, applications of mathematics to the natural and social sciences, e.g. physics, biology, chemistry, finance and economics, to computer science, to engineering, to industry and technology and so on.
There is a complete freedom for the fellow of choosing the research institution (provided it is in Italy for incoming and reintegration, and outgoing for the return phase) (either public or private or when applicable a combination of both) and of the supervisors and/or collaborators most suitable to conduct successfully his/her project. In the Programme it will be fully implemented INdAM policy for fellowships that is based on supporting researchers, selected only on the base of scientific quality, so that they can choose their host institutions, their supervisors, their programs (rather than support institutions or senior researchers so that they can choose their fellows).
The duration of the Programme is 48 months. The total number of fellowships is 27. The total number of fellow-year: 54.
The first Call consists of 9 fellowships, divided in 5 outgoing, 3 incoming and 1 reintegration. The deadline is April 15th, 2011.
The deadlines for the second and third Call are respectively December 20th, 2011 and May 15th, 2012.
Duration of the fellowships
The outgoing fellowships consist of an outgoing phase of 18 months and a return phase of 6 months.
The incoming and re-integration fellowships last 24 months.
Eligibility criteria for Researchers
On the date of the relevant deadline for submission of proposals, applicants to INdAM-COFUND fellowship programme must be experienced researchers, that is, they must either:
(i) be in possession of a doctoral degree, independently of the time taken to acquire it
(ii) have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience.
Selection process for the fellows under the programme
The calls for the fellowships of the programme are announced on the INdAM website.
The selection committee in charge of the final decision is a Panel appointed by the Comitato Direttivo of INdAM (INdAM Scientific Council).
The evaluation of proposals is carried out by the Panel with the assistance of independent experts (referees).
The Panel allocates each proposal to two referees, taking account of the fields of expertise of them, and avoiding conflicts of interest. Each proposal is assessed independently by the two referees. The proposal will be evaluated against pre-determined evaluation criteria.
Referees perform evaluations on a personal basis, not as representatives of their employer, their country or any other entity. They are expected to be independent, impartial and objective, and to behave throughout in a professional manner. They sign an appointment letter, including a confidentiality and conflict of interest declaration before beginning their work. Confidentiality rules must be adhered to at all times, before, during and after the evaluation. Under no circumstance may an expert attempt to contact an applicant on his/her own account, either during the evaluation or afterwards.
Appointment conditions of selected fellows
Fellows are recruited under a status equivalent to a fixed amount fellowship, with social security coverage and social benefits.
The contract consists of:
- an amount to be paid directly to the fellow (the sum of the living allowance and the mobility allowance);
- a travel allowance, to be paid to the fellow as reimbursement of travel tickets;
- insurance costs to be paid by INdAM in favour of the fellow, to provide coverage for work accidents, occupational diseases and invalidity benefits;
- a research cost contribution (RCC1) to be paid by INdAM to the host Institution(s) either by a direct transfer, or as a payment of invoices, in the interest of the fellow;
- a research cost contribution (RCC2) to be paid by INdAM directly to the fellow as reimbursement of expenses for the direct purchase of any material (excluding hardware) or consumable goods needed for his/her research, and of travel and living expenses for participation to scientific events.
|Living allowance (EUR/year)||28.500||28.500||28.500|
|Travel allowance (average) (EUR/year)||1.000||1.500||750|
|Insurance costs (EUR/year)||1.000||1.000||1.000|
|Research cost contribution 1 (average)
|Research cost contribution 2
|Number of eligible fellows||14||10||3||27|
|Duration of fellowships (months)||24 (*)||24||24|
|Total budget of the Programme (EUR)||1.400.616||1.033.400||292.008||2.726.024|
|EC Contribution (EUR)||560.246||413.360||116.803||1.090.410|
(*) 18 months for the outgoing phase + 6 months for the return phase